Thursday, February 4, 2010

My Bro Elijah

The past few days have been some of those aha sort of days. God gave me just a glimpse of understanding. I was reading in 1 Kings and came to chapter 19 where it gives the account of the prophet Elijah fleeing King Ahab and Jezebel. They had put an order out to have all the prophets killed so Elijah travels far and stops in the desert. Elijah says in verse 10, "I have been very zealous for the Lord god Almighty. the Israelites have rejected your covenant, broken down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left and now they are trying to kill me too." I can't imagine the horror and utter loneliness Elijah faced. To feel as though you are the only one in the world is very foreign to me. But, I kept reading and was so encouraged by what I read. The first thing God did for Elijah was to provide for him physically. He gave him rest and food. He didn't try and motivate him or comfort him, he just provided for his physical needs. After this God tells Elijah he is going to speak to him so first he sends a strong wind, then a earthquake and a fire. God is not in any of these. Then when those things were completed God spoke to Elijah in a whisper. I was amazed by this action. God didn't come in a magnificent display of power to Elijah and yell powerfully at him his words but simply, gently came in a whisper. Then God very specifically and clearly gives Elijah a course of action. Wow! This is not mans way nor my natures way. Elijah was in need and God provided. Not only did he just provide but he left an example of how to minister to someone in need.
  1. Provide for physical needs first. May it is meals for a hungry family. A hug for a hurting mom. Sleep for a exhausted husband.
  2. Gently encourage truth.
  3. Provide clear direction. Give hope and light to a situation by offering practical steps. (I believe this one will need very careful consideration and direction from the Lord)

God has placed several people in my life at this moment that have very different levels of needs. At first I was frustrated wondering how I was going to help. Then God gave me this path. I realize I am so very limited in what I can do. I am encouraged that I can do these things listed. I am so thankful to the Lord for giving me this pearl. I pray I use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment