Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Top 10 Lessons from MACHE

This past couple of days I had the opportunity to go to MACHE's (MN Assoc. of Christian Home Educators) annual conference. This was my first year going and I was a little nervous that I would be overwhelmed. To my surprise and great pleasure I had a wonderful time. The teachings were amazing, encouraging and thought provoking, I learned so much from them. I was able to find many treasures and buy most of my curriculum without having to pay shipping. I went with my sister-in-law Deb, who is so wise and always an inspiration to spend time with. Wow, I am blessed homeschooling momma and woman! I wanted to highlight my top 10 finds and lessons.

  1. If we are experiencing personality conflicts with a certain child of ours this is a sign to us as parents that we need to spend more quality time together and grow closer.
  2. We need to teach our children that as Christians we should be setting out to change the culture around us, not join it.
  3. As home-school families we need to teach the children that our freedom to school, worship, to be in Christ and other freedoms all came at a price. We must remember those who went before us who made our freedoms possible and remind one another of the deep cost that was paid and is still being paid for us.
  4. Write notes to your children, to express love and encouragement.
  5. If there are irritations popping up in the day that frustrate you and get you off track, write them down. Sit and look at them later and come up with solutions to fix these problems. When we are out of the frustrating moment we can often see how to fix these irritations.
  6. Tell your children a lot of stories about their grandparents and great-grandparents. This fosters generational thinking and roots.
  7. Christmas morning find a way to give first before receiving. Maybe go to a nursing home, bring someone a meal, or serve at a shelter.
  8. Do room checks. Warn the children that you will be checking room cleanliness at some point during the week and rewarding a tidy room with a small treat.
  9. Have family missions projects. Set up a jar to put spare change in or think of ways to support a special family picked mission. Maybe find something to make and sell to support your mission or organization.
  10. Encourage siblings to verbally love one another and physically serve one another.

There are so many, many more points that I will take away from this week-end. These are just a few. I hope to remember these and put into action what the Lord has laid on my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment